For the past five years, Eli Review has partnered with San Francisco State University to build a community of practice around peer learning in first-year writing, second year writing, and writing in the disciplines. Our partnership includes more than 30 recorded online office hours where instructors discuss one aspect of teaching feedback and revision each Friday of the academic term. This grassroots effort grew to include nearly thirty instructors teaching over 2,000 students each term.
Leaders from the composition program and the Writing Across the Curriculum/Writing in the Discipline program (GWAR) successfully convinced administrators at SFSU to make Eli available more widely across the campus in 2019-2020. Switching from student purchase to institutional purchase created even more opportunities to invite faculty to use Eli Review in their courses, including integration with the campus LMS called iLearn.
The depth and breadth of the partnership between SFState and Eli Review is evident in my (Melissa’s) upcoming campus trip. We offer the itinerary as a window into how we work with our institutional partners. The schedule shows how we foreground the pedagogical potential of an educational technology through professional development events that reach a wide cross-section of instructors in just two days.
Thursday, Nov 7
- 10-11 Meet with Instructional Designers in Academic Technology
- 12-12:45 Meet with Dean of Undergraduate Studies who funded the institutional purchase
- 1:30-2:30 Giver’s Gain Workshop (all campus)
- 2:30-3:00 Reception
- 3:00-4:30 Research Forum for program self-study and scholarship of teaching and learning
Friday, Nov 8
- 10-10:30 Regular Online Office Hours
- 11:00-11:30 Todd Walker Interviews Melissa for the composition program’s online pd
- 11:45-12:45 Meeting with Writing Pedagogies for Inclusive Excellence learning community
- 1:00 – 3:00 Reviews that build from TILT Writing Prompts (Area E Workshop)
If you’d like to learn more about the services included with an institutional purchase of Eli Review or about the grassroots efforts, contact me ([email protected]).